Subscribe to Hydrapinion RSS 2.0 feed Subscribe to Hydrapinion

Recent Posts

13 comments

Comment from: VictorB [Visitor] Email
I feel somewhat disappointed. The Wiimote and nunchuk combo still didn't win anything?
10/01/07 @ 15:37
Comment from: Seamus BYRNE [Member] Email
No, but the whole award was for historic controllers that shaped the future we now live in. So both Nintendo and Sony received awards, Sony for dual shock, and Nintendo for the D-pad.

Perhaps the Wiimote will win an award in a few years. I'd expect it to win some industrial design awards in the year ahead (if it hasn't already).
10/01/07 @ 15:42
Comment from: VictorB [Visitor] Email
Thanks for the clarification. I hope you don't mind, but i'm sourcing your blog for this tidbit of information.

I think the PS3 fans on our site will not like this news though...
10/01/07 @ 15:47
Comment from: Seamus BYRNE [Member] Email
Hi Victor,

No drama. We are yet to get the PS3 here in Australia. I, for one, am really looking forward to it! So you can tell your Sony fans I wasn't doing this to rain on their parade!

Just thought it was worth pursuing the facts because it did seem a strange aspect of the PS3 to be receiving an award where the Wiimote was strangely absent.
10/01/07 @ 16:00
Comment from: VictorB [Visitor] Email
Alright. Cool. Thanks. When it gets put up on the site, I'll be sure to send a link so you can read it as well.

Muchos Gracias! :D
10/01/07 @ 16:02
Comment from: OpenGL [Visitor] Email
Hey, Seamus.

So, the deal is that it was the dual-shock and D-pad that won awards, right? But what if "The Emmy Award for Peripheral Development and Technological Impact of Video Game Controllers" means, contributions for the last ten years from both Nintendo and Sony? That would include, "Wiimote, SIXAXIS, Dual-shock and D-pad" would it not?

The fact of the matter is that the BOTH the Wiimote and SIXAXIS have not been on the market long enough for them to get a CES 2007 award. Wouldn't it be more appropriate for them to wait for more games to come out and then announce an award at CES 2008. That would make more sense. So, in the end, Sony and Nintedo could end up getting an award next year for the SIXAXIS and Wiimote.

I hope you know that most people are sourcing your article and labeling the headline, "SONY LIED!"

Thanks for nothing!
10/01/07 @ 16:26
Comment from: Seamus BYRNE [Member] Email
Another happy customer. ;-)

If it included all their controllers, then I'm sure that is what Christine Chin would have told me. But she didn't say that. She said what she said above, word for word, cut and pasted. And that means it was an award for dual shock, not SIXAXIS.

The explanation that sits best for me, based on discussion across the various blogs covering this story, is that there has been a gap in what Sony were told and what NATAS intended. If you look at the awards list on their site, you will see they have just listed SCE and Nintendo as the award winners. This lack of specificity in the award list itself must have contributed to the confusion. Other awards were listed by specifics, but this wasn't.

An assumption was made, and it is now proving to have been a bad one. I think the fact that the press release was worded with such energy for the all-singing, all-dancing SIXAXIS has contributed to the venom with which people have responded to the news NATAS has said it wasn't an award for that controller.
10/01/07 @ 16:47
Comment from: VictorB [Visitor] Email
Here you go.

10/01/07 @ 16:56
Comment from: DMP [Visitor] Email
Is it common that you don't get told, if you win an award, what it is actually for?

I somehow doubt that Sony was like "Hey we won an award for... SOMETHING. Must be our new controller, right? Well, lets just pretend it is."
10/01/07 @ 21:23
Comment from: T [Visitor] Email
Apparently they were dumb enough to "think" it was for their "evolutionary" SIXAXIS, and like SCE always is, they went on and publicly bragged about it.
11/01/07 @ 02:39
Comment from: Yomama [Visitor] Email
Ya know I see a lot of people say de sixaxis isn't a new design or someting like that but if you look back at the E3 in 2005 you see that de PS3 controller was more of a boomerang but they changed this because a lot of people were bi t c h i n about it and they didn't like the design. And that why sony came up to use the dualshock design so I don't think you should say that sony didn't put any energy in the design of their controller they just listend to te people and they used a the reliable dualshock design.
11/01/07 @ 03:06
Comment from: dib8rman [Visitor] Email
sorry for the revival... kind of sorry.

It's not 'evolutionary' because it's half baked - using the sixaxis in many cases is like playing in a crazy jacket, your hands are bound to 1 thing.

Playing folk lore had me peeved that I had to twist my body unnaturally out of reaction to the needed action.

Using the wiimote takes 1 hand which takes away from the constriction - now if they would get rid of that darn cord connection to the nunchuck it would be perfect.

Also aside from inovation the ps3 controller is fragile - between myself and a few friends our left analog stick is screwed up. (Probably too much call of duty 4) When it comes to motion controls I find myself staying away from those games on the ps3, or using the traditional option in its stead.
14/02/08 @ 05:21
Comment from: web hosting [Visitor]
Everybody got mistake and are also making a solution. Give us a chance. Thanks.
03/05/10 @ 01:24